The Marina, Deal - Painting by Henry Folkard
|Henry Folkard was a regular visitor to a
well-known ice-cream parlour on Deal sea front and became a close friend
of the owner, for whom this watercolour of the Marina was painted.
We do not have a date for this picture, which was kindly loaned by the Divito family.
The view is somewhat changed today, but much of it is still recognisable.
The public house on the left was called the North Star and next to this was the North Deal Lifeboat Station, now the headquarters of the Deal 1919 Angling Club (picture below left). The building to the north of the lifeboat station has gone and a modern block of flats occupies the site. The street lamp marks the entrance to Dibdin Road, and the building on the corner with the upstairs bay window is The Forrester public house (picture below right). Next to this the grey-fronted buildings have are now home to the Deal Rowing Club. The Coastguard lookout station (right of centre with the flag-pole) has gone and a new one was erected a little further along, immediately behind this point in the picture. Proceeding northwards from here, the view is virtually unchanged today, except for the modern sea defences that were installed after the storm of 1978.
The road has been widened, with a new promenade and sea wall separating it from the beach. Boats are no longer kept on this area of the beach - they are now confined to the area south of the pier.
(more pictures to follow)
|Back to Deal Index