North Barrack Road
North Barrack Road connects Blenheim Road in the west (left) to The Strand in the east. In 1898, the Dolphin Public House (formerly the Good Woman) occupied the north-western corner of the street (the south side is occupied by the Barracks). Next to the pub, where these gates stand, was Court's Mineral Water works. The cottages in the centre of the picture were known as Mill Cottages, numbered 1 (western end) to 5.
|Beyond this, now a double-fronted, late-Victorian house and the offices of Walmer Batteries, was a "Ginger Beer Manufactory" belonging to J.W.Court of Tankerton (near Canterbury). The pink and white buildings on the right of the picture are the ends of two rows of cottages running at right-angles to the road, then known as Vale Cottages.
Next to these was another house and the Rising Sun Public House occupied the corner of Cheriton Place.
The road going off to the left in this picture is York Road, which crosses North Barrack Road and continues on the right to join Cheriton Road.
|The corner plot between Cheriton Place and York Road is occupied by a car-spares shop, which used to be a cinema and, later, the "Palais" dance hall, before being converted to a garage.