February 2006

Cholera outbreak

An outbreak of Cholera in the Kafue Islands, Zambia, has hit the HHI(z) main area of mobile clinic outreach services. The District Health Board Director of Monze visited the office early February to inform them of the development and wanted to know what resources HHI(z) had to help the health office tackle the epidemic. The Beulah Landcruiser, the Ely Camping Tents and the new HHI boat were immediately made available to help with the situation.

The director reports in an e-mail of 10th February: “Our driver Deluxe drove the landcruiser taking these things and the medical team which also included our nurse to the River Kafue Islands. Upon arrival it was sad to find out that seven people had died and 12 were in a critical condition. Due to the quick intervention of the medical team many lives have since been saved.

However, the efforts are being frustrated by continuous heavy rains, which Zambia has not experienced for years. The biggest problem at the islands is poor sanitation, and drinking contaminated water. Worst of all is lack of a health clinic, where people could be quickly attended. Our intervention with the mobile clinic currently serves as the only sure medical service the people of these islands receive once a month.

It has worked very well for us, using our own boat, because we are not limited in reaching all the islands. It is not only Kafue Islands that have been hit by this epidemic: Mazabuka, Sinazongwe, and Lusaka are also affected. As a way of reducing the spread of cholera, the health authorities have instituted a ban on fishing, and selling fish. While this is a good idea, families that survive on fishing have not been given supplements of food by the Government to enable them survive during this ban, which has created adverse problems for them again.

Our involvement with the Health office has been appreciated and we can feel the confidence of the local authorities in HHI for the work we are doing in the district.”

A Special Day

Thursday, 3rd February was a very special day.

The Bible Readathon had been a success and we had raised the wonderful sum of almost £12,000 for the destitute and mentally disabled women living with Pastor Sam in India so that a piece of land and a good house could be purchased to give them some dignity in their final years.

So here I was in Trivandrum to bring them the good news and help select a suitable habitation.
"Let's take them for a day at the seaside" was the wonderful suggestion of Sam.
So it was arranged that at 4.00 p.m. after the heat of the sun had subsided, we would do just that and what a happy time it turned out to be.

Trivandrum is situated on the coast of the Indian ocean with beautiful and almost deserted white sands and green, green sea which thunders into spectacular breakers as it hits the shore - a perfect place for a picnic.

As the 25 ladies struggled out of the coach we had hired they seemed overwhelmed by what they saw but soon we were all hand in hand standing by the water's edge. Suddenly a huge wave came rolling in and we were all up to our knees in foam. Shrieks of laughter resounded as another wave and another came in giving all wet feet and much enjoyment.

Then, as if by prior arrangement, a man appeared, not with a donkey but with a horse - 5 rupees (6p) for a ride along the shore. Ravi, our only male resident was the first to brave the adventure and how proud he looked. Then one after another and mostly two by two all the ladies had a ride and the vision of Chimalla, the most out going of them all, her face aglow waving her right arm as if using a lassoo and shouting out 'Yahoo' will live with me for ever.

35 Ice creams had to follow bought from a little hand cart at the road-side which I think made the day for the vendor as well, followed by pea nuts, then to crown it all Ballama who is deaf and dumb got up and began to dance. Then another and another so there was nothing for it but to join in.

Time fled and it was all too soon to leave the beach and visit the boat park where if we were lucky we could go on a launch within a safe back water. However, as soon as we were inside the park one of the ladies spotted a swing hanging from the upper branches of a very tall tree. Of course, there was nothing for it but they all had to have a swing - again, mainly two by two, to whoops of joy and laughter. By the time we reached the boats they were being shut up for the night and so we missed out on that but a further walk through the flowering gardens brought us to a little area of roundabouts which were still operating.
The Swan roundabout seemed the most appropriate one and again seated two to a swan they had a great time and the joy on their faces made the whole day so worthwhile.

But Chinamma was not going to be short-changed. She had spotted the 'aeroplane roundabout' which we had considered too dangerous for them. But Chinamma decided otherwise and before we knew it she had climbed up the structure, not by the proper steps, but up the structure and was trying to get into one of the planes. Eventually she was got down and was locked into another little roundabout car that was not operational to keep her out of harms way.

It was now dark after a most beautiful sunset and it was time to board the coach for the homeward journey, but not before a most touching scene completed the day as Ballama, the deaf and dumb lady hugged Hannah clinging to her with love as much as to say, 'Thank you, thank you for a wonderful time, please don't leave me'. The best £30 spent for a long time.

Letter from Mpongwe Mission Hospital, 4th February, 2006

Dear Mr Prosser,
Calvary greetings in the wonderful name of our LORD and Saviour Jesus Christ.
On behalf of the hospital and management let me say thank you so much for the drugs which we managed to get yesterday at the airport.
I am sure the director will brief you on that so today we are starting off to Mpongwe and I am so thankful.
Please continue to remember us in any way possible.
May the Almighty GOD richly bless you all at HHI.
YOU ARE DOING REMARKABLE AND GOOD WORKS only our Redeemer will richly bless you and open more showers of blessings as you continue to labour for him.
Humbly yours in His Service, Christ the King.
Tuesday Musaka,
Hospital Administrator

In Memoriam

In the six years since HHI began, a number of people have asked for donations in lieu of flowers for those family members who have died. This has always been greatly appreciated and is a lovely extra way of remembering and giving thanks for the love and lives of dear ones.

Since our last News Letter, the following have been remembered in this way:

Mrs. Gwen Phillips
of Caerleon

Mrs. Kate Hill
of Penrith

Mrs. Edie Waters
of Christchurch, Dorset

Mr. Bill Daniel
of Merthyr Tydfil

Mr. Bill Vaughan
of Merthyr Tydfil

Mrs. Edna Thomas
of Newport

Mrs. Doris Criddle
of Cardiff

All change at
Hope School for the Deaf

This little school was one of the first projects we funded when we began our work in Monze, Zambia, some 5 years ago.
We financed the setting up of it, and provided extra money to build a little two-room school house.
Every quarter since then we have supported it by providing £660 to supplement the Government teacher's salary, provide books, equipment, and medical check-ups.
On average there have been about 17 hearing impaired children on the books and it has been good to see these youngsters develop from frightened children into typically boisterous ones, through prayer and love.
The school has been under the direction of Mr. and Mrs. George Monze, but it has not always been an easy ride.
At the end of last year, due to the age and personal circumstances of Ron, the UK Director, it was decided that all Zambian projects should be administered through the HHI Zambian Office which made a lot of sense.
This decision included the projects at Kaloko and Mpongwe, as well as Hope School.
However, Mr. and Mrs. Monze were unable to accept this decision, insisting that they would only deal through the UK office and so they cancelled the agreement preferring to find finance elsewhere.
This termination was sadly accepted by HHI.

However, the story does not finish there, for we are glad to report that the Special Needs Education Inspector decided that the time was right to open a Government Unit for the deaf and blind children of the area.
We were asked if we would continue our support for this new venture, which we gladly agreed to.

Goodson, the Government teacher of the deaf has been transferred to the new unit.
He is being assisted by a German lady volunteer, whose husband has recently taken up a post in the area.
A teacher of the blind has also been engaged.
The children will be integrated with able-bodied children, which is now part of the Zambian Government's scheme for children with special needs.

We hope that all existing HHI sponsors of the deaf children will continue their support of this new project, which will be properly run and expanded.

Town Shop Boosts the Tailoring Centre Sales

The HHI(Z) Tailoring Centre continues to flourish and is developing very well due to the great generosity of those who have donated sewing and knitting machines, cloth and wool, etc.
A shop has been rented in the town, to help sell the garments produced, which has certainly boosted sales.
The tailor and his staff are very grateful for all the support they have received.

The Alternative Christmas Present Catalogue

What a wonderful success this turned out to be.

Over £14,000 was donated with chickens, goats, donkeys and wells being the most presents requested.
What this means, of course, is that we now have a large fund of dedicated money that we will be able to use during 2006 to donate to the needy.
With the animals, obviously, it is important to ensure that the recipients have the necessary land, and are able to look after them, as it would not be right to give donkeys to those unable to do so.
The following is just one illustration of how this money is being used:


It was on 17th October 2005, I reported for part – time work in Kafue town and I reported with a friend by the name of Mutale.
We were walking along the line of railway in Kafue and as we were chatting, we heard a hooter and when I looked behind, I saw a Goods Train coming towards us.
So I shouted, “Mutale tafwa, we are going to die, my friend”.
My friend jumped to the one side of the line and I remained on the other side to wait for the train to pass, but suddenly, I was pulled by something which took me under the train and the wheels ran over my right leg and arm and then it threw me to the other side where my friend Mutale was standing.

I was surprised to find myself at Kafue District Hospital and later on, I was referred to the University Teaching Hospital where my arm was cut below elbow and leg cut below knee joint.

I am a female aged 21 years.
Born on 1st April 1984 at Mpongwe Mission Hospital in Copperbelt in the family of twelve (12) and I am the tenth born.
In 1993 my mother died and this was a painful time for me because I will never find anyone to replace the care and love my mother had for us children.
It was not easy for the family as a whole because my mother used to provide most of the necessities.
My father is in the village and he is not able to do anything.
The aim of coming to Kafue was that I may do something to raise money so that I go to the college, staying with my elder sister with the family 10 with two orphans.
Unfortunately only to be found in this condition.
So I am hereby requesting for your help to buy the artificial arm and a leg.
The total cost for both is K2,500,000 (£416).
These will be purchased at University teaching hospital.
I hereby attach the quotation receipt and a photo.
Am also asking you to help me with a project that I can do while seated at home.
In my mind I have an idea of keeping chickens.
Maybe this can improve my livelihood and I can have something to support my other brothers and sisters who are suffering.
Your assistance will be highly appreciated.
Thank you for the effort, which you have done so far to answer my request.
May the almighty God bless you as you continue reaching the needy.
Yours sincerely

This message was received in January and you will be pleased to learn that HHI responded positively.

As this newsletter is published, information has come through that she has had the limbs fitted and is at present being trained in their use.
She will be given a batch of chickens and feed from the Alternative Christmas Present Catalogue gifts when she returns to her family.

An Extract from Ron’s India Diary

Saturday, 4th February was a very emotional day.

It started in the company of Mathew George, Tom's associate who helps with many medical matters in Trivandrum.
We made a visit to the local Hospital, where we met a number of the children we had been helping.
First we had a meeting with the doctor in charge, Dr. Karunia Kumari, a lovely dedicated woman as you might expect.

Later we visited the little house we visited last year, and which was set up by 7 doctors so that those of F category can have a place to stay while attending the hospital.
It costs Rs10 per day for accommodation, Rs50 per day for family food and another Rs50 for special nourishment for the patients making a total of Rs110 per day or £10.26 per week.
The house will take 8 patients plus family and one of the present patients is Babu, aged 29 who has been helped by HHI for the past year.
The metal implant system failed in his left leg, so he now has the leg in plaster.
The likelihood is that his leg will have to be amputated above the knee and an artificial limb purchased for him.
Tom is going to investigate costs if this happens.
His wife is Mary and they live in the forest with their 3½ year old son.

We then adjourned to Mathew George's new home where I thought we were going to have some lunch and a rest but we were amazed to find around 50 people all sitting under a canopy waiting for us.
So a short service was held, at which I spoke about the 'Rebekah Principle' (You can find the story in Genesis Ch. 24)
Then we began interviewing all the sick who had come for help.
For example, Mani, a 62 year-old man who had had a stroke and who required a wheel chair and medicines @ £23; Sajilal, a boy of 14 whose eye had been affected by the chemotherapy he had been having last year when we saw him at CRAB and who now needed £8 per week for the next 2½ years; Jaisha a 7 year old boy brought by his mother, Mercy, who is regularly beaten by her husband, a drunkard; Pradeet, a 34 year-old man who is mentally retarded and has a heart problem and receives medicines from HHI; Rema, a 34 year-old woman with thyroid problems and whose operation had to be cancelled because of lack of funds; Raffa, a 10 year old boy who has been paralysed down one side following meningitis; £13 required for his medicines and whom we suggested might benefit from some sort of therapy; and finally Jishnu a 5-year old, active, little boy, who last year was paralysed and of whom the doctor said there was no point in giving any more medicines as he would die.
However, prayer was continually being offered for him, plus the medicines supplied by HHI.
The doctor now describes him as 'the wonder of God'.
20 patients in all were seen and in between we managed to have some food, and I was given a bed to rest on.
But the day was not over, for although desperately tired, we had agreed to visit the Dayabhaven Orphanage in the evening.
So another long car ride ensued but what a lovely welcome we received from the 12 children and Pastor Bovas and his family, who were so grateful for the help we are giving them.

As well as the entertainment they offered us, we had more food and we were shown the 10 trophies that the children had won at a recent Sunday School Competition between 12 churches.
They had scooped the prize board.
The next Vacation Bible School, using the papers sent out by Newport And District Christian Education Council is due to be held at the end of March, when we shall also be sent the School Reports.
It was good to see that all the children were happy and there had been no major illness since the orphanage had started.
The landlord was very pleased to have them as tenants, and wishes to build an extension at his own expense as a better dormitory for the girls.
Of course this will cost another 300/- (£4) per month in rent.
They were in need of 3 blankets @ Rs60 and 5 pillows @ Rs30, a total of £4.40 which amount they were gladly given.
Thus ended an emotional but also an inspiring day.

Africa benefits from donation in teacher’s memory

CREATIVE CIRCLE: Marion Daniel, Christine Jones, Anne Clark and Chris Powell with the cards they make for Zambia and (inset) one of the designs created by members of Hope and Market Square United Church.

‘The memory of a former Merthyr Tydfil headteacher is being celebrated as far away as Zambia.
When Bill Daniel, who was head of Gellideg Primary, now Coed y Dderwen, died last year, his wife asked family and friends to donate to a charity close to his heart rather than send flowers.
Mr. Daniel and wife, Marion, were supporters of Health Help International, who work with children in the African country.
Now, more that £3,000 has been sent to the appeal by members of Hope and Market Square United church, including £1,000 collected in Mr. Daniel’s memory.
Mrs. Daniel and the group are determined to carry on fundraising, and her friends have been busy crafting greeting cards by hand to sell in aid of the charity.
The cards are created at church member Chris Powell’s home in Merthyr where they meet weekly.
Mrs. Daniel said: “It was a matter close to Bill’s heart.
I want to thank everyone who contributed for such a worthy cause.”
Cards are sold at the church on Three Salmon Street in the town centre, or at Hope Church next to the town hall every Sunday.’

The above article appeared in the Merthyr Express newspaper in January and the £1,000 donated by friends of Mr. Daniel was increased by another £600.
Then in December, following the death of Mr. Bill Vaughan, a local bank manager, and friend of Mr. Daniel, his wife made the same appeal and another £1,000 was added to the December, This wonderful total of over £2,500 donated in memory of two friends is going to be used to purchase a property in Monze to be used as a little orphanage for the ‘Three Singing Orphans’ and 7 others who are in need of care.

Two generous ways to celebrate the lives and memories of two kind supporters who will be sadly missed.

The Monze Printing Press

When the container that we sent out from Newport last July was finally received it was met with great jubilation.
For this valuable consignment contained much precious printing equipment, enabling an up-to-date printing press to be established.
It now employs 5 young men who had no prospects of earning a living as they are mostly disabled.
They are all kept very busy as this is the only press in the region and as they gain in experience the quality is improving.
So much so that it is now self-supporting and adding finance to the general running of HHI(Z).
The HHI(Z) director who visited the UK last November for training purposes found his time here very useful and is grateful to all who helped and supported him during that period.
He is now able to use the information gained to help run the foil blocking and other unusual printing processes that are now available in Monze.

Organiser Wanted

Would you like to Help HHI in a practical way? If so you may like to become the organiser of our Craft Trade Division. What we need is someone with e-mail who could source, purchase and control the distribution of what is becoming a useful source of income for our work.

It will not be too demanding and, as with all our work, is purely voluntary.

Fuller details from HHI.

Visit of American Surgeons

On Saturday, 21st January, a group of 3 American Surgeons belonging to the charity 'Omni' visited Monze following up a promise to visit last September.
Their purpose was merely to ascertain if a visit later in 2006 would be worthwhile.
If so, they would bring a team of 8 or more and spend some days diagnosing, treating and operating on the sick and needy offering a free service.
It is good to report that they were very impressed by what they saw of the HHI facilities and work and have agreed to bring a team, probably in July.
They will stay in the HHI Guest Rooms and use the HHI Clinic as a base with operations being carried out in the local hospital which has offered them every co-operation.


With classes going on all day and during the evening it is pleasing to report that the HHI IT School is now at maximum intake and many people are having the opportunity to learn computer skills and other learning for the first time.
Enrolment includes 53 nurses, the hospital director who wants to keep up with his staff, bank clerks, and council staff.
The first students took their examinations in December and we are hopeful for good results.
This department is self-financing and in addition is contributing finance for the general health work of HHI(Z) which is really encouraging.
Due to the success of this project, when HHI received a legacy of £2,000 last year, we decided to use this money to build a new unit on our site to house the IT school.
It will be called the Gwen Phillips Block, after the dear lady who remembered our work in her will and it will contain two classrooms, a teacher's office and a small Internet Cafe.
We have no doubt that Gwen would have approved of this use for her money.

The Mobile Clinics

As all readers will know for some years we have been running two mobile clinics every month.
One to the rural high lands and one to the islands on the Kafue river and both of these have been greatly appreciated.
In recent months there has been a great shortage of diesel fuel in Zambia due to the refinery breakdown and this together with the world price increase and the devaluation of the Kwacha has meant that we can only afford to run one clinic at the moment.
Therefore the highlands run has been dropped to allow the islands work to continue.
This is regretted, but hopefully we shall be able to restart when conditions improve.
This will leave HHI(z) free to continue the mobile clinic visits to the prison which was reported in our last newsletter.
This will allow the staff to have more time for the audiology clinic and general health work that has to be carried out, and also for dealing with the needy people who come every day to the offices for help.

Further Extracts from Ron’s India Diary

During this visit at the beginning of February, Ron was joined by Hannah Mlatem, a young journalist from The South Wales Argus. She had won a scholarship to report on work being carried on abroad with a Newport connection. This was her first time in India and she said she had an ‘experience of a life time’. She was an admirable companion to Ron and her newspaper articles are awaited with interest. (See SWA 4th and 6th March)

Tuesday, 31st January.
Arriving in Trivandrum this morning at 8 a.m. We were met by Tom, Pastor Sam and his daughter Shini.
A walk along the beach of the Indian Ocean was followed by breakfast in the Coffee House and then the journey to Santigiri Monastery (The Mount of Peace), our home for the week.
On the way we stopped in Nedumangad town to buy some oranges, bananas, etc. and we spoke with the Government Health Team who were presenting a street theatre on leprosy awareness and how to recognise this disease and obtain treatment.
Leprosy still affects 2 in every 100,000 people, down from what it was a few years ago.
In the town we also met several people who had been helped to better health by HHI donations - one lady had been at death's door but is now doing well.
We also paid a visit to Tom's bank to exchange our money and were very well received by Mr. John, the manager who remembered me from last year.
He invited us to visit his home in Trivandrum so that Hannah could see a typical Indian's home.
Whether we shall have time to do this we shall have to see but it was a kind gesture.
On arriving at Santigiri it was interesting to discover a priest in residence for a short period of Retreat.
His work was at the only leprosy hospital in Kerala and he has invited us to visit during our stay and we intend to take up his invitation.
In the evening we tried to meet with Pastor Bovas and his orphan children but he was not at home when we called.
However our time was not ill spent for we had a conversation with a lady who was sitting outside her home making a split cane mat.
Our visit caused considerable interest and soon we were surrounded by a number of women and children who were pleased to speak with us.
Here again we met a woman who had benefited from HHI's health help.
Hannah walked with Tom to this place, crossing the river by boat and thoroughly enjoyed the experience while I took the more leisurely method of going the long way round by car.
We then visited one of the Banyan Tree Tuition Groups funded by the U.K. 'Friends of the Banyan Tree', an independent sub group of HHI.
We were thoroughly entertained by the enthusiastic crowd of youngsters who at the end just wanted to touch us and particularly Hannah's long, auburn hair.
It made a lovely ending to a tiring but enjoyable day.

Friday, 3rd February
This was an early start day as we were travelling to Colachell to discover what had happened with the Tsunami projects that we were supporting.
First off was a visit to the Fay Muek Day Centre, where we met the nine girls who were being trained in making bracelets and were hoping to be the first students for the Sewing Class, that we were going to inaugurate.
Four pristine treadle sewing machines were standing in a line, bedecked with ribbon which Hannah and I had to cut to officially herald the start of this work which was due to begin on the following Monday.
Then we were introduced to the lady teacher.
It is hoped that many tsunami affected girls will be able to take part.
Six of the girls present are being helped financially as well, and it was harrowing to hear their personal stories.
Then a book that is being printed called 'Leaves of Hope' was presented to me in which a number of the stories and painted leaves are included.
It is hoped that these books when screen-printed and finished by the tsunami victims will be popular and sell well in our next catalogue.
Charles, the young patient that we have been helping was also there, and was very grateful for all the help we are giving him, which he said was saving his life.

Rani, one of the girls, made a lovely speech of thanks in which she said her heart-felt thanks were overwhelming for when she comes to the day centre she feels at peace and can forget the bad tsunami days.
It is a great relief to have the love of Suni, the lady in charge who means a lot to her, and the other girls and that the day centre is God-given.
The little income she gets is an enormous help as it means she can look after her sick mother.
After the tsunami they had no clothes and she now is able to buy them.
Suni's husband, the Pastor in charge, is unwell at present and has to visit the hospital on a daily basis so we did not meet him.
We then visited the housing complex of seven houses that FOTBT are financing and were impressed with the work progression.
It is hoped that they will be finished by April with tsunami affected families moving in shortly after.
Families have been selected and there are both Christian and Hindu faiths represented.
We met Mr. Mariadhes, the director of a little charity 'Integrated Rural and Coastal Development Society', IRCDS, who is the organiser of the rice and wheat packing business that we are supporting.
Here again we were involved in the official opening of the centre which will employ three women and one marketing man.
We inspected the equipment that had been bought and watched with fascination as the packs were made up ready for sale.
It is hoped that this little unit will be a successful venture for them all.
Mr. Mariadhes then asked for our further support in the form of creating a little training centre to train women tsunami victims in the repair of Outboard Motors.
Apparently the fishing boats that were lost at sea have been replaced by well-wishing societies with more modern boats including OBM's but no one has the knowledge to repair them and many are unused because of mechanical problems.
I indicated we might be interested in this but would have to have more details which he promised to supply in due course.
He himself turned out to be a tsunami victim and he took us to his little house down an alley way just off the beach, and showed us how the water burst through his door as they were having breakfast and swept them to the ceiling.
He was able to grab his two children and climb up a little steep stairway to a little room above, where they were saved, and from where he pulled a number of people being swept passed the window.
It was good to see the town more or less back to normal although many of the temporary shelters are still in occupation on the beaches and the men still sitting around playing cards.
There is a brand new Memorial Building being constructed over the mass grave of the 400 or so people who were buried there and which was just a patch of ground last year.

Sunday, 5th February
Although it was Sunday, it was another early start as we intended visiting the Pilgrim Highlands church in Trivandrum whose English service started at 9.45 and was an hour's drive away.
This turned out to be a wealthy charismatic church who had agreed to build the house for Pastor Sam's hospice after we had purchased the land.
It was well attended and very Western in its approach and style with guitars and keyboards and typical charismatic songs and preaching.
In the afternoon we paid a most interesting visit to the St. John's Leprosy Hospital where the four Sisters of Bethany Mission and The Little Sisters of Jesus made us very welcome.
They have 24 resident patients and see around 95 out-patients but they are struggling because of financial problems as the government has drastically cut their support and they are no longer able to operate the village by village inspection scheme that they ran for many years.
Their concern is that without this detection scheme, the disease will begin to increase once more.
The patients were very happy to see us and we took some cakes for them but their wounds and lack of fingers, feet, etc were sad to see.
It costs £125 per month for the out patients and £13 per day for the 24 in patients.
They would love to have goats and chickens to give to the outpatients to help them survive.
A goat would cost £26 and they have 25 needy families to whom they could give one.
15 chicks at a cost of £5 would be very helpful as would a chicken house at a cost of £6.
Also a little wooden shop would be marvellous for a family at a cost of £133, including the stock.
We said we would send some money from this year’s 'Alternative Christmas Present Catalogue' for goats and chickens, which is exactly why this money was given.
We will include a special section for the Leprosy Hospital in the next 'Alternative Present Catalogue'.
Perhaps Martin Davies of the Leprosy Mission in Wales might be able to help or be interested in taking some of the cards for sale that are going to be partly produced at the hospital.

Fill the Medicine Chest for Lent

A report in The Telegraph of 11th February is entitled “Hug someone for Lent, it’s the modern way.”
Other suggestions include ‘leaving £1 in your shopping trolley for someone else’, or ‘help a bug out of the house rather than squash it’.
Modern alternatives to the centuries-old practice of fasting and self denial in the run-up to Easter.
Well, here’s another idea which would help HHI fund the latest clinic we have been asked to help for the many disabled children who attend the Choonga School in Zambia.
Included with the hard copy of this newsletter was an envelope illustrating a medicine chest of drugs, asking supporters to choose an item each day during Lent, and put the appropriate financial cost in the envelope.
Then at Easter to send to HHI the amount saved, thus helping to finance the clinic at Choonga.
If you are a member of a church, it would be wonderful if you could encourage your church friends to take part as well.
There is still time to phone the HHI office and ask for as many envelopes as you could use.
Just telephone Ron on 01633 274565 or contact us.
However, please do not feel under any pressure for what you already do for our work is greatly appreciated and we know there is nothing more off-putting than regular givers to a charity being asked for more.
This is just a scheme that some of our supporters who normally deny themselves for Lent may want to take part in.

Newsletter Quantities

We have always taken a guess at how many newsletters, etc. to send to you and generally we have got it right. However, if you would like more, or less, please let us know and we will adjust as necessary.
Thank you.

A small space for a huge


In this newsletter we have tried to give you a flavour of all the work that is done for the glory of God with the funds that you, our supporters donate.
There are so many other stories of donations and practical help that are given day by day, week after week that are so greatly appreciated.
We apologise if yours is not described in this issue, so please take this as a real ‘thank you’ for all your help and prayers